Chocolate Chip Cookies Vegan Style
Wonderful chocolate chip cookies that will satisfy every sweet tooth - and these are made entirely without butter or eggs. I also use whole wheat flour and brown sugar to give these cookies an edge up on the nutrition side.
Vegan chocolate chips have no dairy component and are made from concentrated cocoa powder, which means you get all the good antioxidants of the chocolate without the bad cholesterol of the milk. These chocolate chips taste so good, you will want to eat them right out of the bag!
The binding in this recipe comes from unsweetened applesauce, another healthy benefit over traditional egg-based binders. A dash of maple syrup adds that little something extra!
I like to use whole wheat flour for my chocolate chip cookies, as it adds more fiber, minerals, and vitamins than the typical white flour. To replace white flour with whole wheat flour, you can use the exact same measurements of the recipe, just add a dash more liquid to avoid an overly dry cookie. The below recipe takes care of that already.
Serves: 12 large or 24 small cookies / Ready in: 30 minutes
Great for: heart healthy, low cholesterol, healthy dessert, vegan
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup organic brown or raw sugar
- 1/4 organic maple syrup
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
Directions for vegan chocolate chip cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oil, sugar, syrup, applesauce, and vanilla.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, and salt. Then fold in the chocolate chips. If the dough is too stiff and the chocoalte chips won't stick to the dough, try to kneed them in with your hands, or add a little more moisture like 2 teaspoons of soymilk or ricemilk.
- Place large spoonfuls of the batter onto an ungreased baking sheet, and press each one slightly into a rounded shape. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool down on a rack.