Coconut Rice Pudding
This coconut rice pudding is a sweet delight with an exotic touch that makes a great alternative to the usual holiday sweets.
Dried unsweetened coconut has twice as much of the nutrients as fresh coconut, as the drying process concentrates all the nutrients.
Coconut is also low in cholesterol and low in sodium.
Serves: 6-8 / Ready in: 1 hr
Great for: healthy dessert, vegetarian (vegan)
Nutrients: saturated fat, protein, carbohydrates, iron, potassium, zinc, vitamins B
- 1 cup long-grain sticky rice or jasmine rice
- 3 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 5 cups milk (soy milk for vegan version)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks (2 ripe mashed bananas or 1/4 cup egg replacer for vegan version)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened shredded, dried coconut
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut
Directions for toasted coconut:
Dry-fry 1 cup sweetened shredded dried coconut in a small skillet over medium heat until lightly brown and fragrant, about 3-5 minutes. Toss it often as it browns so that it won't burn. When done, transfer to a plate and let it cool.
Directions for coconut rice pudding:
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the rice, coconut milk, milk, sugar, salt, and stir well. Place over medium heat and bring to boil, stirring often and well. Adjust to a gentle boil without burning. Cook until rice is tender and pudding thickens, while stirring often, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Combine egg yolks and vanilla in a small bowl and stir well. Slowly stir the yolk into the pudding to combine well. Add the 1 cup shredded coconut.
- Return the pan to the stove and cook over medium heat until pudding is smooth, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into a serving bowl. Sprinkle the toasted coconut on top and serve the coconut rice pudding warm or cold.