Hot and Sour Cucumber Sticks
Look no further than these slightly spicy cucumber sticks if you are looking for something light to nibble without adding loads of calories.
Great for: heart healthy, healthy snack, low calorie, vegan
Nutrients: fiber, sugar, vitamins C and B6, manganese, magnesium, potassium
Ingredients for cucumber sticks:
- 2 European-style organic cucumbers, ends trimmed, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons black dry roasted sesame seeds (see below how to roast)
Ingredients for hot and sour dressing:
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup organic raw sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon unprocessed sea salt
- 2 small fresh red chilies, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- With a small spoon, scrape out the seeds in each cucumber half. Cut each half lengthwise into thin stripes and then cut into 1 1/2-inch long sticks.
- Prepare hot and sour dressing with listed ingredients. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Then stir into the cucumber bits.
- Roast the black sesame seeds in a pan at medium heat without oil. They are ready when they are slightly aromatic - take care not to burn.
- Stir the sesame oil into the cucumbers 30 minutes before serving. When ready to serve, remove the cucumbers from the oil with a slotted spoon and add the roasted sesame seeds.