English Toffee Recipe with Sliced Almonds
English toffee is a surefire classic with cookie and candy lovers, so how about trying this vegan English toffee recipe that saves a lot of calories and has zero cholesterol?Our English Toffee recipe is very easy to make and you only need 6 ingredients for this tasty vegan version of it.
In this recipe I am using whole wheat flour and brown sugar to add a bit more nutrition to an otherwise decadently delicious sweet treat.
As a topping for our English Toffee recipe I am using sliced organic almonds, but you can supplement these with any nuts or topping of your liking.
Great for: heart healthy, low cholesterol, healthy dessert, vegan
- 1 cup vegan margarine (i.e. Earth Balance)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2/3 cups sliced organic almonds, walnuts, or anything you like
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the brown sugar and margarine until creamy. Then add the vanilla until smooth and slowly sift in the flour, stir until everything is mixed.
- Press the dough into an 8x8 inch baking pan lined with wax paper. Bake for about 15 minutes until the dough is firm and goldbrown. .
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the vegan chocolate chips evenly over the top. Return the pan to the oven for about 45-60 seconds, until the chocoalte chips are starting to melt.
- Remove from the oven again and spread the melting chocolate chips evenly over the top of the dough with a knife. Then sprinkle your almonds or other nuts over the top and let the English toffee cool down.
- Cut your English toffee into 25 squares and transfer to a cooling rack, so that the chocolate can firm up completely. Enjoy!