These yummy firecracker broccoli bits will disappear faster from your party table than you can blink your eye.
Broccoli is a great health food: it has chemicals that are known to prevent cancer, and carries loads of anti-oxidants that help reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke.
Great for: heart healthy, low cholesterol, healthy snack, vegan
Nutrients: protein, fiber, vitamins B6, E, C, K, beta-carotene, iron, folic acid, calcium, selenium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, manganese
Ingredients for broccoli:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cups broccoli florets, trimmed and cut into small florets
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- A dash salt
Ingredients for sweet and hot garlic sauce:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon Asian chili garlic sauce
Directions for sweet and hot garlic sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, water, vinegar, garlic, and salt. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Reduce to medium heat and simmer until the sauce thickens and becomes syrupy, about 18-25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chili garlic sauce. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate what you don't use.
Directions for firecracker broccoli:
- In a skillet with tight-fitting lid, warm oil over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the broccoli florets and toss until they are bright-green and shiny, about 1 minute. Add the vegetable stock, cover, and reduce heat to medium. Cook until broccoli is tender but still has a bite, 1-2 minutes.
- Uncover the pot and add the sweet and hot garlic sauce. Toss well and remove from heat. Transfer to a serving dish and serve hot, warm, or cold.