This is moist and delicious gingerbread, but without animal ingredients or added fat.
You can serve it with hot cranberry sauce or applesauce.
Dates have a lot of fiber, which helps with a healthy digrestion. Their many antioxidant components have anti-inflammatory and anti-infection properties.
Raisins are a great source of energy while being low in calories.
Great for: heart healthy, low cholesterol, healthy dessert, vegan
Nutrients: sugar, fiber, vitamin A,B, K, iron, potassium, calcium, manganese, magnesium, copper
- 1/2 cup organic raisins
- 1/2 cup organic dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup raw sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon unprocessed sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Directions for vegan gingerbread:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan, combine the dried fruits, water, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and salt, and bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Then remove it from the heat and cool it completely.
- When fruit mixture is cold, mix in the flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Spread the batter into a non-stick 9-inch baking dish and place it into the oven. Bake for about 30 minutes. Test readiness of cake by sticking a toothpick into the center of the cake. It is ready when the toothpick comes out clean.
We have even more fabulous desserts - take a look at our other healthy dessert recipes.