Pasta with Green Asparagus in Red Wine Sauce with Italian Herbs
It's season for asparagus - a great wholesome vegetable loaded with vitamins and without any fat. The green asparagus version has more flavor and bite than white asparagus, and it doesn't get that mushy when cooking, which can happen with white asparagus recipes. In our new vegan pasta recipe below we keep the asparagus slightly crunchy, as that brings out its flavor to the fullest.
Serves: 4 / Ready in: 30 minutes / Calories per serving: 270
Great for: vegan, heart healthy, low calorie, low cholesterol
Nutrients in this asparagus recipe: vitamins A and C, iron, fiber, folic acid, potassium
- 1 pound organic green asparagus, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium-sized white onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green Serrano chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized organic tomato, cut into small chunks
- 1/2 fresh parsley leaves, slightly shredded
- 1 teaspoon light olive oil
- 1 glass dry red wine
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- Organic sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 package whole wheat penne pasta
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat and add the onion, garlic. Stir until the onions are slightly yellow.
- Add the Serrano pepper, green asparagus, tomato, sage, and oregano. Sauté for about a minute.
- Add the red wine and cover the pot. Let it simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Add the water and let simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
- Finish with the parsley, salt and black pepper to taste. Switch off the heat and let everything soak for 1-2 minutes.
Enjoy this tasty and light asparagus sauce over your favorite whole wheat pasta, over orzo rice, or even with a brown rice side dish.
Find more ideas for healthy meals and dinner entrees..