Gujarati Carrot Salad
This crunchy Gujarati salad with carrots and black mustard seeds is a wonderful fresh and healthy dish to enjoy as snack in between, or as starter with whole wheat crackers.
You can make it in just 15 minutes and sere it warm or cold.
Great for: heart healthy, low cholesterol, healthy snack, low calorie, vegan
Nutrients: fiber, vitamins A, B6, and C, potassium, manganese, niacin, thiamin, copper, calcium, iron
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- Unprocessed sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a bowl, toss the grated carrots with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet over low heat and when hot, add the mustard seeds and sesame seeds. Cover the pot and wait until the mustard seeds pop (they may jump up and burn you, so keep the cover on for a short while).
- Pour the contents of the skillet over the carrots and stir to mix well. Serve lukewarm or cold.