Healthy Pasta Salad with Mushrooms and Herbs
This easy healthy pasta salad can be enjoyed cold or hot, as starter or main dish - it will always taste delightful!
The dried Italian spices and the fresh parsley give it great flavor, and the colorful vegetables add a whole range of nutrients to this healthy whole wheat pasta salad.
Mushrooms are the only plant food with natural vitamin D and the bellpeppers provide important antioxidants to this dish, so dig in for a second helping!
Great for: heart healthy, low cholesterol, vegan
Ingredients for the healthy pasta salad:
- 1 lb (1 packet) whole wheat fusili, penne, or farfalle pasta
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 small bell peppers (1 red and 1 yellow), seeded and cut into small stripes
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted and halved
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
Ingredients for dressing:
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Boil the pasta in salt water until it still has a little bite. Switch off the heat, drain it, and rinse under cold water (note that pasta should only be rinsed if you make a cold salad like this one). Drain well again after rinsing.
- Place the pasta into a bowl and put aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat and add the garlic. Let it sauté for 1 minute and then add the mushrooms. After another 2 minutes, add the olives with their soaking water, bell peppers, oregano and thyme. Let it all sauté for about 3 minutes and switch off the heat.
- Add the mushroom mix to the pasta and mix well to combine.
- Prepare the dressing: Combine Balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl and stir well. Then poor it over the pasta and toss it well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Toss your pasta salad again before serving.