Fresh Healthy Sandwich with Hummus, Mustard Greens, and Tomatoes
This healthy sandwich combines the tasty tartness of the mustard greens with the anise flavor of fennel seeds and the super freshness of mint leaves.
Try this fresh tomato sandwich as healthy lunch or light snack. It is an easy lunch sandwich that also travels well.
Mustard greens are nutrition powerhouses that provide a load of the vitamins A and C.
Serves: 2 / Ready in: 5 minutes / Calories per serving (1 slice): 80
Great for: vegan, heart healthy, healthy snack, healthy lunch, low calorie
Nutrients: fiber, protein, calcium, iron, vitamins A, C, E, K, B6; folate, zinc, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, zinc
- 4 slices of sprouted grains or whole grain bread
- Tomato-basil hummus (you can find it at Trader Joe’s)
- 1/4 fresh organic cucumber, quartered and sliced
- 1 organic tomato, cut in small slices
- 8 small leaves of organic mustard greens, washed
- 1/4 cup of fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- Sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- Toast the bread slices lightly and spread the hummus on them.
- Place 2 small leaves of mustard greens on each bread. Add tomato and cucumber slices.
- Sprinkle with fennel and sesame seeds.
- Garnish with mint and add some salt and ground black pepper to taste.
Go back to top of Healthy Sandwich page or move on to another great health-ful sandwich with a hot sauce twist.