Indian Curry with Potatoes and Spinach
Muk's famous Indian curry with potatoes and spinach has won the hearts of even die-hart meat eaters over the years. There is no party in our house where we don't offer this hearty curry. It can be eaten with Indian breads or rice. Typical breads are nan or paratha, but we prefer whole wheat tortillas at home, which don't contain ghee (clarified butter). Brown rice or aromatic basmati rice can be served with this curry as well.
Great for: heart healthy, low cholesterol, low calorie, vegan
Nutrients: sugar, fiber, protein, potassium, vitamins A, B6 and C, thiamin, riboflavin, folate, calcium, iron, niacin, copper, manganese, magnesium
Ingredients for Indian curry with potatoes and spinach:
- 7 medium soft-cooking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 fresh serrano chilies, trimmed and chopped (with seeds)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon unprocessed sea salt
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, washed, trimmed, and cut coarsely
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of cilantro-ginger curry sauce (available in Indian stores)
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 medium tomato, cut into small pieces
- A pinch of allspice or garlic salt
Directions for Indian curry with potatoes and spinach:
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, add water and a little allspice or garlic salt. Then add the potatoes and boil until they are tender but still have a bite.
- In a wok or large saucepan, heat the olive oil over low heat and add the black mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and salt. Cover the wok and wait until the mustard seeds pop (they will jump up and may burn you if you don't cover the wok).
- Then add the onions, chilies, and 1 cup of water. Increase the heat to medium and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the spinach and combine with the other ingredients. Add the cilantro-ginger sauce and turmeric, and stir everything well. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are ready, drain them and keep the potato cooking water separate. Set potatoes aside.
- Add the tomato and 1 cup of the potato cooking water to the wok, combine well and continue simmering for 5 minutes.
- Add the boiled potatoes to the wok and reduce the heat to low. Simmer potato spinach curry for another 5 minutes and switch off heat. Serve the Indian curry with rice or bread.
We have additional delicious Indian curry recipes here.