Indian Lemon Rice Recipe
This spicy lemon rice recipe is a light dish that you can enjoy just by itself for lunch or dinner on a hot summer day, Or you can serve it as side dish with curries and dals.
When it's hot outside, we like it particularly with cool soy yogurt and a side of fresh raw veggies as a light and very tasty summer lunch!
Serves: 4 / Ready in: 20 minutes
Great for: vegan, heart healthy, healthy snack, healthy lunch, low calorie
- 2 cups Indian basmati rice
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 4 dried red chili peppers, broken into large pieces
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons urad dal (split black gram)
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- A few curry leaves
- 2 fresh green chilies, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt to taste
- fresh cilantro leaves
- Boil the rice on the stove or in a pressure cooker.
- Once the rice is close to be done, heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the mustard seeds. Close the lid, as the seeds will pop when they get hot, which could lead to burns.
- Then add the dried peppers, urad dal, and fenugreek seeds. Let it fry for about 30 seconds. Next, add the peanuts, curry leaves, green chili, turmeric powder and let it fry for another half minute.
- Add the boiled rice once it's done and turn off the heat. Add salt if needed to taste, and stir in the lemon juice.
Garnish your lemon rice recipe with the fresh cilantro leaves and serve this wonderful savory dish with a side of crisp vegetables like cucumbers and tomatoes for lunch. These veggies will make a welcome cooling addition to your hot and spicy Indian rice.