Masoor Dal Soup
This nice hearty masoor dal soup is great for cold winter days. You can easily make it ahead of time and then reheat it for serving.
Great for: heart healthy, low cholesterol, vegan
- 10 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 cup masoor dal, washed and drained (available in Indian or Asian stores)
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 small piece of cheesecloth
- Tie the cloves, bay leaves, and whole peppercorns into the small piece of cheesecloth.
- Put the dal and 5 cups of water into a heavy skillet and bring to boil. Remove and discard the scum that rises to the top of the pot. Add the spice bundle and the turmeric to the pot. Turn the heat to low and put on the lid slightly ajar. Simmer gently for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Then remove the spice bundle and discard it. Pour the soup into a blender and blend until it is smooth. Add the salt, lime juice, and cayenne pepper to taste. Stir to mix.