Oriental Lentil Salad
From Middle East
This fast and easy oriental lentil salad is a refreshing and nutritious starter or a healthy snack for in-between. The lentils add a good boost of fiber and protein to your diet.
I have also served it as a flavorful substitute for rice with vegetable stews - the options for this dish are endless!
Great for: heart healthy, healthy snack, low cholesterol, low calorie, vegan
Nutrients: fiber, iron, protein, vitamin C, calcium, manganese
- 3 cups dried lentils
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons organic garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 scallions, peeled and chopped
- 4 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup parsley, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, trimmed and chopped
- 5 1/2 cups water
- In a medium skillet, combine the lentils with 5 1/2 cups of water. Add the cumin and 1 teaspoon of garlic salt, and then bring to boil. Cover and simmer gently for 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and open the cover to let the lentils cool down a bit. When lukewarm, add the remaining salt, lemon juice, black pepper, oil, parsley, mint, and scallions. Stir and let cool down more. Serve at room temperature.