Thai Panang Curry with Eggplant and Choy Sum
This amazingly yummy and healthy Thai panang curry comes with delectable Chinese vegetables, which you can get fresh in every Asian grocery store. The combination of eggplant and choy sum in delicious panang curry sauce is tasty and hearty and makes for a great winter curry in this vegan version of the Thai favorite.
You can also replace the choy sum with any other greens you prefer or that you have handy!
Serves: 8 / Ready in: 1 hour
Great for: vegan, heart healthy, healthy meal
- 2 cans of light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons penang curry paste (available in Asian food stores. Look for brands without shrimp paste and fish sauce like Pantai or Aroy-D)
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon of ground brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1/4 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Chinese eggplants, sliced in half and then cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 choy sums, the stems cut into 1-inch cubes and the leaves roughly chopped
- 5 fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 packet organic firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- Juice of one lime
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
1. Heat the coconut milk on medium heat in a wok or large sauce pan. Fill the can with water and add this to the coconut milk. Whisk in the curry paste until it is fully dissolved. Bring the curry to a slow simmer.
2. Stir in the vegetable broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and ginger. Increase the heat to high and let it simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the onions, mushrooms, and eggplants. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the carrots and choy sum stems. Reduce to medium heat and simmer for another 4 minutes. Now taste the eggplant, which should be cooked with a slight bite (continue cooking if you like your eggplant softer).
4. Reduce to low heat and add the tofu and choy sum leaves. Simmer on low for 2-3 minutes. Switch off the heat and stir the lime juice and cilantro leaves into the curry.
5. Serve your delicious Thai penang curry with brown rice, milled red rice, or whole wheat penne pasta for a healthy meal. Enjoy!