Penne Alla Vodka - Healthy Vegan Pasta Recipe With Creamy Tasty Vodka Sauce
Penne alla Vodka is one of our favorite pasta dishes, but it's very hard to find any restaurant that offers a healthy vegan version of it. That's why we choose to cook it at home. Our vodka sauce recipe is still creamy and rich, but it has no saturated fat or cholesterol, which means you can even have a second helping, as you get much less calories!
We use whole wheat penne pasta and the delicious vodka sauce is blended with silken tofu and organic soy milk - very yummy and so much lighter than the traditional version! Use as mch crushed red chili flakes for taste as you like, and top off your vegan penne alla vodka with soy parmesan or Rawmesan for extra creaminess!
Serves: 4 / Ready in: 40 minutes
Great for: vegan, heart healthy, low cholesetrol, vegan pasta recipe
- 1 pack of whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 medium can of peeled Italian tomatoes in their liquid
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1/2 cup silken tofu and organic soy milk, blended together
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine (i.e. Earth Balance)
- 3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- Salt, freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2-3 teaspoons crushed red chili flakes (or to taste)
- 3/4 cup soy parmesan or Rawmesan
- Pour the canned tomatoes and their liquid into a mixer and chop finely, but don't mash them.
- Bring salted water to boil in a large pot for the pasta.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat and add the garlic and onion. Sauté them until they are slightly brown. Pour the vodka over the mix and let it simmer for 2 minutes, and then add the chopped tomatoes from the mixer into the skillet. Add salt, black pepper, and crushed pepper to taste and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes on medium heat.
- When the salt water is boiling, add the penne pasta and lower the heat to medium. Add a drop of olive oil to avoid the pasta from sticking together. Cover the pot half-way and cook for about 5-10 minutes. Stir frequently and try after 7 minutes. Your paste will taste best if it still has a little bite (the Italians call this "al dente").
- Add the parsley, soy margarine and the blended tofu/soy milk mix to the vodka sauce. Combine everything well, taste and adjust seasoning. Keep on low heat.
- Once the pasta done, save your cooking water for later use and pour the pasta into a strainer and shake off the excess water. Do not rinse.
- Then add the pasta into the saucepan with the vodka sauce (or vice versa, depending on which of your pots is bigger for combining the two). Switch off heat and mix gently until the pasta is entirely coated, then serve immediately.
You can either add the soy cheese (or Rawmesan) to your vodka sauce before combing it with the pasta, or add it afterwards to taste. Enjoy your healthy penne alla vodka!