Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
I like to make my roasted pumpkin seeds with a little Cajun spice mix and then dry-roast them in the oven until they fill the whole house with their great aroma.
Pumpkin seeds are very healthy: they have been used over centuries to protect the prostate, improve bladder function, prevent osteoporosis and kidney stones, and work as natural anti-inflammatory, among many other benefits.
Great for: heart healthy, low cholesterol, healthy snack, low calorie, vegan
Nutrients: carbohydrates, unsaturated fatty acids, protein, fiber, iron, zinc, vitamins B, C, D, E, K
- 1 cup fresh pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cajun spice, (or mix of garlic salt, fresh ground black pepper, chili powder, ground thyme, ground bay leave, ground basil)
- Remove the remaining pumpkin flesh from the seeds and place them into a colander. Rinse and layer them on a clean dry dish towel, and pat them dry.
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F and prepare an ungreased baking sheet.
- Place the dry pumpkin seeds into a bowl and mix them with the spices. Pour the seeds onto the baking sheet in one layer, and then bake for 40 -50 minutes.
- When the roasted pumpkin seeds start to become fragrant, check for softness and continue baking for another 10 minutes or as needed, until they are very fragrant and soft.