Seitan Recipe Indian Style with Broccoli
In this seitan recipe I spice up the seitan in Indian garam masala sauce for a delicous vegetarian curry. Then I add crisp broccoli as great taste contrast. Seitan is a protein bomb and adds a tighter texture than tofu to this vegetable curry recipe. This dish can be served with brown rice or white basmati rice.
Serves: 4 / Ready in: 45 minutes / Calories per serving: 203
Great for: heart healthy, low cholesterol, vegan
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 fresh green serrano chili, trimmed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter or peanut sauce
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 8 ounces seitan, chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups of broccoli florets, trimmed and cut into small pieces, including stalks
- 1 cup fresh tomato, cut into small chunks
- 1/4 cup whole salted peanuts
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, shredded
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or wok on low heat. Add the onion, chili, and coriander seeds, saute for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and garam masala, saute for 2 minutes. Then add the peanut butter, tomato chunks, seitan, and turmeric powder, and saute for 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk and the water, saute for another 3 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and carrot. Increase heat to medium and bring to a gentle boil for about 3-4 minutes. Reduce the heat once broccoli is tender but still has a bite.
- Add the peanuts to this Indian recipe and let it simmer for another 1 minute. Switch off the heat and add cilantro leaves.