This fresh and nutritious tabouleh salad, also known as tabouli, is a main staple in many Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines. Enjoy it with the romaine leaves mentioned below, with pita bread, or your favorite whole wheat crackers.
Great for: heart healthy, low cholesterol, low calorie, vegan
Nutrients: fiber, vitamin C, iron
- 1 cup fine-grained bulgur wheat
- 1-2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tablespoons onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cups parsley, trimmed and chopped
- Juice from one lime
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Unprocessed sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Soak the bulgur covered with water for 45 minutes.
- Once soaked, line a colander with a clean dish towel and pour the bulgur and soaking water into the colander. Draw the dish towel together so that it closes over the bulgur. Then squeeze out as much liquid as you can, and place bulgur into a large bowl.
- Add the tomatoes, onions, parsley, lime juice, salt, pepper, and oil to the bulgur and mix well. Adjust the seasoning to your taste.
- Serve the tabouleh on a large plate and enjoy!