Thai Curry with Sweet Potatoes, Broccoli, and Mustard Greens
This simple red curry contains sweet potatoes as nutrition bombs, which are paired with broccoli and mustard greens in this thai curry recipe. You will rarely find a vegetable curry dish that offers this taste explosion and nutrients at the same time!
Serves: 4 / Ready in: 50 minutes / Calories per serving (1 cup): 190
Great for: heart healthy, low cholesterol, low sodium, low calories, vegan
Nutrients: protein, fat, manganese, calcium, iron, sugar, fiber, vitamin A (+ carotene), C, K, B6, E; fiber, potassium, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, selenium, copper, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, folate, pantothenic acid
- 1 can unsweetened light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of red curry paste (Maesri is a vegan curry paste for thai red curry recipes available in Thai and Asian stores. Beware that other brands may have shrimp paste
- 8 ounces organic firm tofu, cut into1/2-inch chunks
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, freshly chopped
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup of oyster mushrooms, soaked and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup of broccoli – florets and stems, cut into pieces
- 1 small can of bamboo shoots
- 1/2 cup of fresh green celery, cut into small pieces
- 2 spring onions, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup of mustard greens leaves, shredded
- 1/2 cup of mustard greens stalks, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 fresh lime
- Heat large sauce pan or wok over low flame and pour in the coconut milk.
- Add the thai red curry paste and whisk it into the coconut milk until all clumps disappear. Increase to medium heat and simmer while continuing to stir.
- Rinse coconut milk can with water and add to the pan, keep simmering for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and bamboo shoots with liquid. Increase to high heat and boil for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and oyster mushrooms – boil for about 2 minutes. Then add the stems of broccoli and mustard greens. Boil for another 3 minutes.
- Next add spring onions and celery - boil for another 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add mustard green leaves – stew for about 3 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and add tofu, mix everything well. Squirt the fresh lime into the curry and serve Thai curry with brown rice.