Green Thai Curry with Tofu, Kale, and Water Chestnuts
This is another easy green Thai curry as it uses ready-made Thai green curry paste. The kale and tofu bring the nutrients and the water chestnuts and soybean sprouts add the crispness.
This vegetable green curry with kale is light and tasty for summer or winter days. Try this easy curry recipe with rice noodles or brown rice instead of white rice for a new experience!
Kale is a nutrition powerhouse and offers loads of vitamins and calcium.
Serves: 4 / Ready in: 50 minutes / Calories per serving (1 cup): 150
Great for: heart healthy, low cholesterol, low sodium, low calories, vegan
Nutrients: protein, fat, manganese, calcium, iron, sugar, fiber, vitamin A (+ carotene), C, K, B6, E; fiber, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, selenium, copper, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, folate, pantothenic acid
- 1 can unsweetened light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of green curry paste (Maesri is a vegan curry paste for a thai green curry recipe available in Thai and Asian stores. Beware that other brands may have shrimp paste
- 8 ounces organic firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, freshly chopped
- 1 cup kale leaves shredded
- 1/2 cup kale stalks, cut into small pieces
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 small can of water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup of fresh green celery, cut into small pieces
- 2 spring onions, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup of soybean sprouts, washed
- 1/2 fresh lime
- Heat large sauce pan or wok over low flame and pour in the coconut milk.
- Add the green curry paste and whisk it into the coconut milk until all clumps disappear. Increase to medium heat and simmer while continuing to stir.
- Rinse the coconut milk can with water and add to the pan, keep simmering for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and water chestnuts with liquid. Increase to high heat and boil for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add kale stalks and carrots – boil for about 2 minutes. Add spring onions and celery – and boil for another 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add kale leaves and soybean sprouts – stew for about 3 more minutes.
- Switch off the heat, add the tofu, and mix everything well. Squirt the fresh lime into the thai curry and serve with brown rice or rice noodles.
Go back to top of Thai green curry with kale recipe.