Vegan Chile Relleno - Low Fat Chile Rellenos With Yummy Soy Mozzarella!
Chile rellenos are stuffed chili peppers that have their origin in Mexico. A slightly bigger chile pepper such as poblano, Anaheim, or jalapeno can be used to make it.
Traditionally the chiles are stuffed with melted cheese and /or a pork meat mix. Making vegan chile relleno without dairy cheese is fun and you will love the results once you have the melted mass of joy in your mouth!
We use tofu and soy mozzarella for our heart healthy version of vegan chile relleno. Try this delicious lower calorie version that has tons of flavor but none of the bad cholesterol!
This recipe uses mild poblano peppers. You can up the ante on the spice level by using jalapeno peppers instead.
Great for: heart healthy, low cholesterol, vegan
- 6 poblano peppers, washed
- 1/2 pound firm organic tofu
- 1 cup organic soy milk
- 1 teaspoon light olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- Cumin powder
- Chili powder
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of soy mozzarella (Tofutti or Follow your Heart are two good brands available in health food stores)
- 1/2 can tomato sauce
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 cup white flour
- Roast the chile peppers on a baking sheet under the broiler in your oven until the skin is black. Set aside to cool them off.
- Once the peppers are cool enough to handle, remove the skin with a small knife, which should be easy to do now. Cut the peppers lengthwise with a 2-inch cut and remove the seeds.
- Saute the onions, garlic, cumin, and chili powder in olive oil until soft. Set aside.
- For the filling, blend 1/2 cup soy milk, tofu, and soy cheese in a food processor until smooth. Add the onion/garlic mix and season with salt, pepper, and lime juice to taste.
- In another bowl, make the frying batter: mix 1/4 cup soy milk with the flour. Add some salt or garlic salt to taste. The batter should be thick enough to stick, but you still need to be able to move your whisk around. Adjust the mix as needed.
- Heat the tomato sauce in a skilled and season to taste.
- Heat 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a skillet.
- Fill each chile with the soy filling mix and then dip it into the frying batter. Fry in the oil on both sides until golden.
- Set the fried chiles aside on a paper towel to dry-off the excess oil.
Serve your vegan chile rellenos with the hot tomato sauce - enjoy!