Vegan Mac And Cheese With Daiya Cheese
Maccaroni and cheese is an American favorite comfort meal, but it's usually loaded with cholesterol and saturated fat. That's not the case with our vegan mac and cheese in this recipe! I'm using whole wheat pasta and Daiya cheddar cheese for this flavorful variation of the dish.
Adding to the flavor is paprika, mace, and a touch of cayenne pepper in this delicous mac & cheese recipe
Great for: vegetarian (vegan)
Ingredients for vegan mac and cheese:
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta, any shape
- 3 cups Daiya style shreds
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter (Earth Balance is a good choice)
- 2 cups unsweetened (soy / rice) milk product
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon mace
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (per taste)
- 2 sprigs of fresh cilantro
Directions for vegan mac & cheese
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain thoroughly when done.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare the cheese sauce while oven is warming. In a small pot melt the vegan butter and add the pepper, paprika, mace and nutritional yeast.
- Stir in the milk product. Add the cheese and cook over low/medium heat for about 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Stir in the cooked pasta and mix together.
- Transfer to an 8x8 or smaller casserole dish. Top with some cilantro leaves and bake for 15 minutes uncovered, or until the cheese is bubbling and top is starting to brown.