Thai Vegan Papaya Salad
This is the spicy Thai papaya salad recipe at its very best: fresh, raw, crunchy, nutty, spicy and so delicious!
The fresh young papaya for this vegan salad is spiced with Thai chili pepper, lime juice and peanuts. This dish is simply heavenly as a light lunch or as healthy appetizer to your meal.
Great for: heart healthy, healthy appetizer, low calorie, vegan, raw vegan, gluten-free
- 1 small green papaya that is still very firm
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup raw peanuts, shelled and halved
- 1 cup organic soy bean sprouts
- 1-2 medium organic tomatoes, cut into long thin strips
- 4 red Thai chilies, chopped (more if you like it very spicy)
- 2-3 organic spring onions, sliced into 2-inch long sticks
- 1/2 cup organic fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 tablespoon raw sugar or agave syrup
- Peel the papaya, slice it in half, and remove the seeds. Use a large grater to grate the papaya into thin stripes. A potato peeler will also do the job. Place the papaya stripes into a large bowl.
- Add the spring onion, tomato, bean sprouts, and most of the basil to the papaya. Mix and put aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce, olive oil, lime juice, Thai chili, garlic, and raw sugar/agave syrup.
- Add the dressing to the papaya salad and mix well. Add the peanuts and taste the salad. If you like it saltier, add a bit more soy sauce. For a more tangy taste, add more lime juice.
- Serve your delicious Thai vegan papaya salad with a few fresh basil leaves immediately.
Please note that fresh papaya salad with dressing tends to get soggy when left standing too long, so only prepare what you will use right away. If you need to prepare longer in advance, just keep the papaya salad and the dressing apart and cooled in separate containers until the time of serving.
Find additional tasty healthy appetizers here.