Vegan Pizza with Eggplants, Tomatoes, Spinach, and Vegan Daiya Cheese!
Pizza is not usually considered a health food, but what would you say about a very delicious vegan pizza with non-dairy cheese and loads of fresh veggies? That comes much closer to a healthy pizza and it has much less calories while still providing the rich, creamy flavor of hot melted cheese and roasted veggies that we love so much!
While pizza is that one Italian dish that pleases pretty much everyone, a really satisfying vegan pizza took a while to transpire. Gladly the wait is over now with the introduction of Daiya vegan cheese, which gives us a worthy non-cow equivalent for a tasty and cruelty-free pizza. Daiya cheese is made from cassava root and is free of dairy, casein, gluten, and soy.
For our vegan pizza recipe we use a juicy basic tomato sauce and a thick layer of fresh vegetables, topped with herbs and the fabulous vegan cheese.
Serves: 2 / Ready in: 40 minutes
Great for: vegan, low cholesterol, vegan pizza
Ingredients for pizza:
- 8 ounces prepared pizza dough
- 4 whole organic tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced
- 1 bunch fresh organic spinach
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups vegan cheese (we recommend Daiya cheese, as it melts and stretches superbly)
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- Salt, freshly ground black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- 10 fresh basil leaves
Ingredients for tomato sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 can tomato sauce, unsalted
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Spread the tomato and eggplant slices on two separate roasting pans for your oven. Sprinkle them with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and then insert them into your oven's bottom racks. Roast at 400 degrees until the vegetable edges become slightly dry, about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat and add the garlic and onion. Saute until slightly brown.
- Add the spinach, balsamic vinegar, a pinch of salt, and some ground black pepper to taste. Let the spinach wilt but not cook, for about 3-4 minutes.
- For the tomato sauce, heat olive oil in a small saucepan and saute the chopped garlic, oregano, and basil for 1-2 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and simmer for about 5-8 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and set aside.
- Place the pizza dough into a baking form and spoon the tomato sauce in a light layer on top (add more sauce if you prefer it juicy). Add the spinach mix evenly across the dough and spread a layer of tomato and eggplant slices over your pizza. Sprinkle with crushed chili flakes, black pepper, and oregano.
- Add a layer of vegan cheese on top.
- Place into the oven on a medium rack and bake at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes. Then move to a top rack and bake until the crust is crisp and the cheese starts to brown. Follow the instructions of your prepared pizza dough for further details.
Serve your delicious vegan pizza with fresh basil leaves on top and a good glass of Italian red wine. Buon appetito!