Healthy Vegan Wrap of Sprouted Grains with Red Kale, Soybean Sprouts, and Hummus
Summer is here and the mood is set for lighter lunches that fill us up but also help to shed a few unwanted pounds.
So what can be better than a crisp and crunchy healthy vegan wrap with a wagon-load full of nutritious goodies but very few calories?
This is my latest vegan wrap combination for lunch: the nutritional prowess of red kale, the freshness of organic sprouted soybeans, delicous juicy tomatoes, all enveloped into hummus and spices, and then wrapped into an organic sprouted grain tortilla wrap. Yummy does not even get close to describe this tastebud explosion!
The whole wheat sprouted grain tortilla is light but filling and the crunchiness and fiber of kale, soybean sprouts, and cucumber ensure that one vegan wrap will satisfy you for hours. Add fresh green chiles, tomato, and cilantro leaves for a rainbow of tastes and top it off with vegan green taco sauce: this is one of those heart healthy veggie wraps that will sustain you with a high energy level throughout the afternoon!
Serves: 1 / Ready in: 10 minutes / Calories per serving: 198
Great for: vegan, heart healthy, healthy snack, healthy lunch, low calorie
Nutrients: fiber, protein, calcium, iron, vitamins A, C, E, K, B6; folate, zinc, thiamin, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper
- 1 large organic sprouted grain tortilla (Whole Foods, Sunflower, or Trader Joe's have these)
- 1 tablespoon original hummus
- 1 medium leaf of red kale (use only the leaf and save the stem for cooking)
- 1/4 cup of organic cucumber, cut into slices
- 1/4 cup of organic tomato, cut into slices
- 1/2 fresh green serrano chile, cut into small chunks (use as much as you like)
- 1/2 cup of organic soybean sprouts
- 1/4 cup of fresh organic cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon of vegan green taco sauce
- Coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- Place the sprouted grain tortilla on a plate and microwave for just about 20 seconds, which will make it warm and soft.
- Cover the warm tortilla with the hummus and sprinkle the fresh green chile chunks on top.
- Then rip the red kale leaf into smaller parts and place them all over the tortilla. Next add the cucumber, tomato, and soybean sprouts - spread evenly across the wrap.
- Pour some green taco sauce lightly over the wrap and garnish with cilantro leaves. Season with ground black pepper to taste.
- Fold-in a small part of the wrap and roll the tortilla together until all the goodies are packed inside, leaving the top open and the folded part serving as bottom hold for the veggies. This delicious crispy wrap can be a messy dish, so you may want to have a napkin close to eat it. Enjoy!
- If you'd like a side dish with your wrap, try a vegan sweet potato salad.
Go back to top of Vegan Wrap or look at the delicious Sandwich Wrap with Spinach and Ginger.