Vegetarian Fried Rice Recipe with Shitake Mushrooms
This vegetarian fried rice with shitake mushrooms is made with nutritious brown rice, which adds a good portion of fiber to your Chinese rice dish.
It is especially healthy when you make it as vegan fried rice, where you can simply skip the eggs and replace the butter with a lighter, fully cholesterol-free version.
Shitake mushrooms - like all mushrooms - are a good plant source of vitamin D.
Serves: 4 / Ready in: 1hr / Calories per serving (1 cup): 300
Great for: vegan, heart healthy, healthy lunch
Nutrients: vitamin C and D, fiber, fat, carbohydrates, protein, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, iron, selenium, manganese
Ingredients for Vegetarian Fried Rice:
- 12 ounces long grain brown rice
- 2 eggs for vegetarian version or 1/2 pound extra firm tofu for vegan version
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 12 ounces shitake mushrooms (if dried, soak them for 20 minutes)
- 8 scallions, sliced diagonally
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 ounce of GFA Brand's Earth Balance or soy margarine
- 1 tablespoon medium dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Directions for Vegetarian Fried Rice:
- Cook the brown rice in a saucepan or riec cooker.
- Beat the eggs with 1 tablespoon of cold water and season with a little salt. For the vegan version, scramble the extra firm tofu with a fork and add salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the canola oil in a wok or large frying pan, pour the eggs into it and cook to make a large omelet. Lift the sides of the omelet and tilt the wok to make sure all the egg is cooked equally. Roll up the omelet and slice thinly. For the vegan version, fry the scrambled tofu in the oil for about one minute until golden.
- Cut off the shitake mushroom stalks if they are tough, otherwise slice the mushrooms.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil in the wok and stir-fry the scallions and garlic for 3-4 minutes until soft but not brown. Transfer them to a plate.
- Add the bell pepper to the wok and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, then add the soy butter. Once the butter sizzles, add the mushrooms and stir-fry over moderate heat for 3-4 minutes until soft. Poor the sherry over the mushrooms, and then stir in the rice. Try to keep the rice corns lose.
- Keep at moderate heat and prevent the rice from sticking. If it looks too dry, add a bit more oil. Then add the scallions/garlic mix, the omelet slices (or tofu scramble), soy sauce, and cilantro. Cook for a few minutes until everything is mixed and heated well. Serve your tasty vegetarian fried rice right away.